Friday, May 4, 2012

Oncidium has outgrown it's 8" pot

OrchidTalk Orchid Forums - Grow Orchids! - The Orchid Forums for Orchid Growers

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


 » Learn to Repot your Orchids » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals
OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Like Tree6Likes This is a discussion on Oncidium has outgrown it's 8" pot within the New Growers: Ask the Senior Members forums, part of the New Growers category; Hello forum members. I have an Oncidium in an 8 inch pot that is starting ...

Default Oncidium has outgrown it's 8" pot
Hello forum members.

I have an Oncidium in an 8 inch pot that is starting to grow over the sides. It currently has 3 spikes coming out. I am thinking it is time to repot it. I know some would divide it up but I have had it for a several years and it has gotten to a large size that I like. My question is, should i repot to a 12" or 10" clay pot? My other related question is, would it be a good idea to move it from a clay pot to a wooded basket or plastic mesh type pot? I don't plan on repotting until the spike have bloomed and gone.

Thanks!

Default
By coincidence, I spent almost 2 hours this evening repotting my Onc. maculatum. The plant was originally potted in a 5" pot about 3 years ago. Other than watering and fert. I did not pay too much attention to it untill it gave me several spikes this year and won an award.The thing had grown all over and down the sides of the pot so that in order to show it I had to use a very large decorative pot to place it in. Now that the spikes are gone I decided to divide and repot. However, just as you said, I want to have a large specimen plant.
I have kept a large part intact and potted in a 10"w. x 5"D plastic pot, (easier to get out if you need to repot later). I also got a smaller piece which I have put into a 6" pot.
I am sure some will tell you not to go for such a large pot, but I prefer to wait a while for the plant to grow in rather than have to repot often.
Good luck.

That person is a success who has lived well,.......
who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it;

Bessie Anderson Stanley.

Default
Thanks Angela,

When I originally bought the orchid I put it in a larger pot ( did not know any better at the time). It is pretty big not and I like it that way. It grew a lot of pbulbs in the beginning but no spikes. the last two years it has produced spikes. When I move back to Texas from Chicago, I put it outside and now it has given me 3 spikes. I am hoping for more but they look to be big solid spikes and much bigger than they were when it was growing indoors. I will buy a 10" pot for it. I like having a large specimen and don't mind if it take a while focusing on roots and leaves. Do you think since it has been in the clay pot for so long I should keep in in clay pots or would a wooden basket be okay. I don't know for certain what type of orchid it is since I lost the tag in the move from Chicago but pretty certain it is some type of Oncidium, I posted pics of it a while back and that was the general consensus. Sherry baby came up as an option. These are photos from July of last year it has since grown over the sides of the pot.
Name: IMG_2197.jpg<br />Views: 53<br />Size: 138.0 KBName: IMG_2199.jpg<br />Views: 53<br />Size: 260.7 KB

And since putting it outside the leaves have turned that nice light green color that is desirable

Thanks

Default
Since the orchid has grown so well in a clay pot, I would be inclined to use another clay pot. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. Oncidiums can be fast growers and I find that they are a little more tolerant of overpotting than other orchids. I like to choose a pot that has room for about two years of growth. Good luck.
Default
I concur with Jeff and Angela, I have over potted oncidiums earlier and they grew better for me also.
Default
Any advice for repotting onc type orchids? I have a brsdm that is basically a mass of roots in a pot with a little bit of media. It took me probably 45 minutes to dig out the old media from inside the root ball and I probably didn't get it all and likely stressed the plant as well. I'm afraid to cut into the root ball with anything sharp, but I can't really get the roots untangled from each other.

It's good to see overpotting seems alright for these fellas - I have a clay pot that's probably 2-3" bigger than the one it's in now but I was worried it would be too big.

Impatience can smother the delicate seedlings of possibility
Default
Any advice for repotting onc type orchids? I have a brsdm that is basically a mass of roots in a pot with a little bit of media. It took me probably 45 minutes to dig out the old media from inside the root ball and I probably didn't get it all and likely stressed the plant as well. I'm afraid to cut into the root ball with anything sharp, but I can't really get the roots untangled from each other.

It's good to see overpotting seems alright for these fellas - I have a clay pot that's probably 2-3" bigger than the one it's in now but I was worried it would be too big.

Don't be afraid to cut off some of the roots to clean out the old medium. I do it all the time.
Default
to Tucker. From the bottom up I will cut through all the tangled roots about an inch, soak in Physan and then untangle and pull out all the old medium.

That person is a success who has lived well,.......
who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it;

Bessie Anderson Stanley.

Default
Thanks everyone, I will pot up to the 10" pot (clay)! I just ordered two more orchids someone hide my computer fast!
Miller
Default
Thanks everyone, I will pot up to the 10" pot (clay)! I just ordered two more orchids someone hide my computer fast!
MillerBest wishes to you! Great advice offered about potting / repotting this orchid.

cheers,
BD

By Truong_hoangthao in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM Replies: 9 Last Post: 11-21-2011, 03:18 PM By jungleorchids13 in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM Replies: 10 Last Post: 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM By Laura81 in forum General Orchid Culture Replies: 6 Last Post: 07-30-2010, 06:09 PM By SuZCC in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM Replies: 9 Last Post: 08-21-2008, 06:56 PM By salvador1970 in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM Replies: 5 Last Post: 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsOrchid Forum Rules


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment