Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cattleya tipped over...

Like Tree3Likes This is a discussion on Cattleya tipped over... within the New Growers: Ask the Senior Members forums, part of the New Growers category; I'm so sad and upset, My Cattleya tiiped over and damaged a leaf and two ...

Real NamejasonMy Grow AreaPorch/Patio.Join DateNov 2008Locationsonoma county, caPosts1,055Default
If it makes you feel any better, the wind decided that it must be time for me to repot my in bud purpurata yesterday. I've never seen it bloom. The buds are tiny still and went undamaged...hope they don't abort! There would be no harm done leaving the flowers on, but personally, I'd go ahead and clip them. The plant is using its energy to sustain damaged blooms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Default
I wouldn't worry to much about the orchid. Cut the blooms if you like - but as pointed out - orchids are pretty tough and this plant looks pretty healthy to me. I knock orchids over or drop them on a regular basis. I cringe and die a little each time, but, with the exception of a strap leaf slipper orchid I knocked over with the water hose and then backed up and smashed with my foot (crushed the plastic pot and damaged the leaves horribly), all of them seem to pull through. haha..

Cheers,
BD

Default
Like Bruce said, you can cut them off if you want to or leave them on the plant. It will be fine either way. I've never seen an orchid get any kind of infection from a cut so I don't treat cuts with anything. Whenever I have a tall blooming orchid in a plastic pot or very small clay pot, I temporarily place the pot inside a larger clay or decorative ceramic pot. That gives it a larger and heavier base which makes falling over less likely.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment